18 April 2009
This is a great seafood recipe, if you like your mussels and need to try something different then these stuffed mussels will not disappoint. Stacks of flavour and a combination that really does work well.
2 kilos large mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
2 medium red peppers, finely chopped
1 large green pepper, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 sprig of fresh thyme
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons plain flour
2 cusp of milk
Salt and pepper
Manchego cheese, (grated)
1. Steam the mussels in a large saucepan for 5 minutes or so until opened. Drain and when they are cool enough to handle, remove each mussel and place in an oven proof dish spaced evenly apart. Keep one half of each shell.
2. In a large frying pan, melt the butter and sauté the vegetables.
3. Add the flour and seasoning and cook for a few minutes then slowly add the milk until you have a thick paste.
4. Cover the mussels with the vegetable mix and cook in a medium oven for 10 - 12 minutes.
5. While the mussels are cooking, arrange the retained half shells on a baking tray.
6. Remove the dish from the oven (turn the oven up to high at this point) and fill each mussel shell with a mussel and some vegetable mix. Take care as the mixture will be quite hot.
7. Sprinkle with manchego cheese and return to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts a little.