serrano ham is ideal if you have a chicken left over from the night before. The combination works well, similar to chicken and bacon but with a Spanish twist. For this recipe we simply sliced the serrano ham straight from the leg and served but you could also lighty fry the ham in olive oil to serve over the top of the salad.
A great way of using up leftover chicken and a light lunch using two different cold meats. Other ideas would be the addition of capers to the salad, or replacing the serrano ham with some fried pancetta, sobrasada also works well with chicken.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
300g Leftover roast chicken, shredded
150g Serrano ham, thinly sliced
12 Cherry tomatoes
1 Jar of whole pequillo peppers
Mixed salad leaves
How to make:
1. Arrange the mixed salad leaves in a cazuela or bowl.
2. Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and cut half a dozen slices of cucumber.
3. Drain the jar of peppers and chop each pequillo pepper in half.
4. Cut 10 – 12 slices of Serrano ham (or tear in half if using pre packed ham)
5. Roughly shred/tear up the chicken and add all the ingredients to the mixed salad leaves.
6. Toss the salad mixing the ingredients well.
7. Serve either in the cazuela or transfer to a large plate, drizzle generously with good extra virgin olive oil.