Mackerel lends itself very well indeed to strong flavours and marinades, being very economical to buy this fish is tremendously popular in Spain, our - local fishmonger in Orce displays tray upon tray of fresh mackerel every Tuesday and Friday. A super buy, very tasty and immensly versitile mackerel is great at any time of year.
You will need: (serves 4)
4 Large whole mackerel, cleaned
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons mojo canario
1 Teaspoon chili powder
- Make four diagonal cuts into each side of the mackerel.
- Mix together the mojo sauce with the lemon juice and chili powder adding a splash of olive oil.
- Rub the mixture over the fish making sure plenty goes into the cuts on the fish.
- Cover the fish with kitchen foil and leave to marinade for 1 hour.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on 180 degrees. If barbequing place the fish onto a griddle or double hinged grill and cook for 6 – 8 minutes each side.
- Serve with salad and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.