10 April 2009
Spanish Bacalao Salad with Oranges
This bright and exotic salad of salt cod and oranges is my own take on the traditional Remojon introduced by the Moors. Typically served as a tapas dish, I also love this as a simple and satisfying summer salad.
You will need:
1/2 kilo salt cod, soaked for 24-48 hours and drained
2 medium tomatoes
1 small red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 large sour oranges (you can use sweet ones if you prefer)
handful green pitted olives cut into pieces
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the bacalao. Turn off the heat and leave while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Roughly chop the tomatoes and onion, peel and crush the garlic and mix together in a large serving bowl.
3. Peel the oranges and break into segments and then cut each segment in half and add to the bowl.
4. Remove the fish from the pan, drain and shred removing the skin and bones.
5. Add the fish to the salad, drizzle with oil and vinegar, add the olives and then mix well.
6. Serve and enjoy