15 August 2009
Serrano Ham and Melon Soup
Here is a great Spanish starter which is light and ideal for the summer or indeed at any time. Serrano ham and melon are perfect partners but with this recipe we have created a cold melon soup with lightly fried crispy ham...Delicious!
Ingredients: (serves 10- 12)
1 medium Cantaloupe melon
8 Slices of hand carved serrano ham
1 Large fresh cucumber
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
Teaspoon lemon zest
Sprinkle of salt
250ml Extra virgin olive oil
How to make:
1. Cut the melon in half, remove all the seeds and cut of the skin, chop the melon into small pieces ready to blend.
2. Peel the cucumber and chop into cubes then place these into a blender along with the melon.
3. Blend for 2 - 3 minutes then add the lemon zest, cider vinegar and salt. Blend for a further minute or so then gradually add the extra virgin (add more for the desired consistency if required)
4. Place in the fridge for 45 minutes.
5. When the soup is cold carve your serrano ham and fry gently in olive oil until crispy.
6. Serve the soup in glasses and garnish with the crispy ham.
7. Serve straight away