8 September 2009
Serrano Ham and Cauliflower Soup
Serrano ham is a versatile Spanish ingredient and can be used in various soups from cold melon soup to something like this which is a real old fashioned "campo" (countryside dish) Made during the winter months workers would take a lump of serrano ham and carve off slices to drop into the stock and vegetables. This creates a fabulous flavour and a hearty soup fit for both the winter and as a modern day starter.
Soup Ingredients: (Serves 4 - 5)
300g Cauliflower florets
2 – 3 Sticks celery (chopped)
2 Large carrots (grated)
2 Large potatoes (finely chopped)
300gg Serrano ham (chopped)
1 ltr good chicken stock
Making the soup:
1. Melt the butter in a pan and fry the veg.
2. Add stock and bring to the boil slowly.
3. Fry the serrano ham for 3 - 4 minutes then add to the soup.
4. Simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
5. Serve with toast slices dunked in the soup or fresh crusty bread ready to mop up!
Simple nutritious food with a great flavour. Enjoy!