15 December 2009
Roast Lamb in Rioja Gravy
Well winter is certainly upon us! December in inland Andalucia usually sees a few sprinkles of snow before Christmas - cue the fire. There is nothing quite like the smell of roast leg of lamb cooking in the woodburner, this recipe uses a red wine gravy to accompany the lamb. A great winter warmer. Enjoy.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 Large leg of lamb
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 Sprigs rosemary
70cl bottle Rioja/red wine
1 Jar piquillo peppers
1. Rub olive oil over the lamb, using a small knife create holes in the lamb and push rosemary inside, season the lamb with salt and pepper.
2. Place in a pre heated oven on a shallow baking tray at 180 degrees for 2 hours.
1. Roughly chop the onion and carrot, fry in a cazuela until browned along with the garlic.
2. When the lamb is ready, remove from the oven and pour the juices into the cazuela. Add the pequillo peppers and any remaining red wine.
3. Cook over a high heat and reduce by half.
4. Sieve the vegetables, the gravy is now ready. Serve piping hot.