12 June 2010
Liver and Pancetta in Red Wine
Recipe for cured pancetta accompanied with lambs liver in red wine.
This popular Andalucian racione (large tapa) is served up hot in small portions in many of the local tapas bars and restaurants. The red wine (a cheap Rioja although any red wine will do) in this recipe adds depth with the added twist of sage and pepper.
2 Lambs liver
250g Cured pancetta
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Onion, diced
4 Tomatoes, quartered
250mls Red wine
6 Leaves fresh sage, diced
Cracked black pepper
1. Slice each liver into two thin fillets, wash and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Slice 10 – 12 slivers from the cured pancetta.
3. Heat the olive oil in a cazuela/frying pan and fry the liver until well seared on both sides.
4. Remove the liver from the cazuela and add the pancetta, garlic, and onion. Fry until onion is soft.
5. Add the red wine, sage, pepper and bring to the boil before turning down the heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes and place the liver on top, cook for a further 4 – 5 minutes.
7. Place liver on a bed of onion and pancetta, pour juices over the top and season well.
8. Serve with boiled potatoes or enjoy with fresh crusty bread.
More Tapas Recipes >>>