21 July 2010
Mussels in Chili Salsa
2kg Fresh mussels
4 Hot red chili peppers (small)
500g tin peeled plum tomatoes
4 Garlic cloves
Flat leaf parsley
1. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil into a large cooking pot, heat until the oil begins to smoke.
2. Add the cleaned mussels, cover with the lid and cook for 4 minutes until shells are open.
3. Meanwhile, puree the plum tomatoes in blender or simply mash up if you want to go rustic, finely chop the garlic and dice the chili peppers.
4. Once the mussel are steamed pour away half of the liqueur.
5. Add the tomatoes, garlic and chili pepper, mix well and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
6. Roughly chop the coriander, add to the sauce and mix again.
7. Serve into ceramic bowls and garnish with parsley.
Enjoy with white wine and fresh crusty bread. Just the job!