18 January 2011
Chorizo with Mussels and White Wine
Mussels work with heat, not just from the pan but on the spice front as well so hot smoked paprika (just a little) gives you that smokey flavour with a slight chili hit, accompanied by tomatoes you have a salsa which the picante chorizo will love ~ just accompany with plenty of fresh crusty bread to mop up all that juice and you have a dish worthy of a light lunch between friends, a starter or dare we say it (and if your a serious mussel fan) a main course...
2kg Fresh mussels, cleaned
2 Hot chorizo sausages (chorizo picante), sliced
5 Large vine tomatoes, chopped (400g tinned, plum tommies are also good)
1 Small onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves of garlic, diced
Pinch hot smoked paprika
Pinch cracked black pepper
250ml white wine
Broadleaf parsley to garnish
How to cook:
1. Add a splash of olive oil in the bottom of your Spanish "olla" or cooking pot.
2. Gently fry the garlic and chorizo until they begin to turn brown then add the onion and fry for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, season with pepper and paprika and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the white wine and reduce until you end up with a salsa consistency.
5. Add the mussels, mix well in the salsa and place the lid on the pan.
6. Cook for 5 minutes before serving hot garnished with roughly chopped parsley, discard any mussels that have not opened.
8. Enjoy with fresh crusty bread.
More recipes for mussels
Spanish chorizo & Sausages