23 January 2011
Spanish Chicken and Tomatoes with Serrano Ham
The chicken is slow cooked in the juices of the tomatoes with the addition of some garden herbs, a splash of red wine and the secret ingredient - smoked paprika. You can use either hot or sweet smoked paprika, the hot stuff will add a chili pepper twist although not too strong as only half a teaspoon is used, what you are after with this dish is an earthy, smokey flavour which just adds that little bit more warmth and depth to the recipe.
The addition of a small handfull of Serrano ham compliments the chicken well and adds another Spanish twist to this easy to make and rather delicious Andalucian casserole. Enjoy!
Full chicken, parted into thighs, drummers, wings and breast
500g tin plum tomatoes, chopped
1 Bulb garlic
3 Bay leaves
1/2 Teaspoon smoked paprika
250ml Red wine
10 Whole black peppercorns
200g Serrano ham, diced
How to Cook:
1. Pre heat the oven to 120 degrees. Place the cazuela over the hob and heat a drizzle of olive oil, once hot, brown off the chicken pieces on all sides.
2. Peel the garlic and add to the chicken, lightly fry until the cloves begin to brown.
3. Add the chopped plum tomatoes including all the juice.
4. Turn up the heat and add the diced serrano ham, peppercorns, bay leaves, smoked paprika and red wine. Turn the chicken pieces so all the meat is well covered.
5. Cook in the oven at 120 degrees for 3 hours (no need to cover) or until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes and greens.