This recipe for freshly caught mackerel uses one large slice of Serrano ham along with lemon and fresh thyme from the garden. The mackerel is filleted with the ham laid in between to create a sandwich which is then topped with the lemon and thyme. Serrano ham goes very well in a lot of fish recipes and adds a nice earthy flavour.
You will need: (serves 4)
4 Large mackerel, filleted
4 Slices of Serrano ham (about 5 inches long, carved from the leg)
1 Sprig of fresh thyme
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash and pat dry each fillet, remove any pin bones if necessary then drizzle some olive oil onto a baking tray.
- Lay 4 fillets skin side down onto the tray then lay over your slice of ham lengthways.
- Sprinkle some fresh thyme over the ham then lay the other fillet on top.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and the remaining thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or, depending on the size of your fillets until cooked and tender.
- Serve with salad and fresh bread.