This recipe for mackerel uses Spanish canary island sauce, there are two types of “mojo” sauce, one for meat and one for fish. The mackerel is cut on both sides before the mixture being rubbed in and the fish left to marinate for an hour. The addition of chili and lemon juice adds a great summer flavour to fish which can be oven roasted or cooked on the barbeque.
You will need: (serves 4)
4 Large whole mackerel, cleaned
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons Mojo Canario
1 Teaspoon chili powder
1. Make four diagonal cuts into each side of the mackerel.
2. Mix together the mojo sauce with the lemon juice and chili powder adding a splash of olive oil.
3. Rub the mixture over the fish making sure plenty goes into the cuts on the fish.
4. Cover the fish with kitchen foil and leave to marinade for 1 hour.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on 180 degrees. If barbequing place the fish onto a griddle or double hinged grill and cook for 6 – 8 minutes each side.
6. Serve with salad and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.