This Mediterranean cuttlefish salad with cherry tomatoes really does remind you of the summer, sitting in tapas bar, taverna or by the pool a light seafood salad makes a great lunch. This recipe can also be done using squid although cuttlefish is just that bit meatier, a somewhat underrated delicacy from the sea which tastes great and adds a flavour of summer.
You will need: (Serves 3)
2 Whole cuttlefish
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
12 Cherry tomatoes
Mixed salad leaves
- Arrange the mixed salad onto tapas platters or small plates, chop the cherry tomatoes in half and lay on top.
- Clean the cuttlefish removing the beak if necessary then chop into inch square pieces.
- Score each piece on one side in a criss cross pattern.
- In a bowl, mix a good splash of olive oil with the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the cuttlefish and make sure all the meat is covered in the mixture.
- If frying, heat some olive oil in the pan until it begins to smoke then add the cuttlefish. Fry turning continuously for 2 minutes or until the edges of the cuttlefish begin to turn brown.
- Arrange the cuttlefish over the top of each salad, season with salt and serve hot.