Sausage casserole is one of those real winter warmers, when you need something that warms you up and is rustic and filling then this casserole will do the job! Fresh Catalan sausage is something that can be purchased on most Spanish butchers but for this recipe anything similar will do as long as its a pork sausage such (ie: Cumberland, Lincolnshire etc)
This particular dish was cooked in a clay/terracotta baking tray or 'bandeja', with plenty of depth it allowed for a generous splash of wine as well as vegetables and chickpeas making this meal as about as hearty as it gets. Piping hot from the oven and this casserole is packed full of flavour.
8 - 10 Sausages
2 Onions, chopped
1 Red bell pepper, sliced
1 Green pepper, sliced
200g chickpeas, soaked
2 Fresh sprigs rosemary
2 Fresh sprigs thyme
2 Glasses white wine
2 Bay leaves
Ground black pepper & salt to season
How to make:
1. Lightly brown the sausages in a frying pan or cazuela.
2. Place the sausages and and all the ingredients into a terracotta baking tray.
3. Season and place the fresh herbs over the top.
4. Cover with kitchen foil and cook in the oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
5. Remove foil and cook for another 40 minutes adding more wine if required.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Terracotta Cookware Instructions