You will need:
1kg fresh mussels
half onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
5 thin slices jamon Serrano
100ml dry fino sherry
How to cook:
1. Scrub the mussels well, then pull out the beards and discard.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for five minutes until soft.
3. Add the ham and sherry and bring to the boil. Add the mussels and cover.
4. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes, shaking the pan a few times until all of the mussels have opened,
5. When all the mussels have opened, transfer to a large serving dish, covering well with the sauce.
6. Serve immediately with fresh bread.
Very palatable indeed...!