18 November 2009
Tomato and Paprika Winter Chutney
Making chutney... here at Orce Serrano Hams we love to cook, much time is spent in the kitchen trying out recipes given to us from the locals and also a little experimentation here and there. The produce from Orce village is always fresh and plentiful - especially tomatoes, big beef tomatoes, on the vine, home grown and cherry varieties are always available. Having never made chutney before we thought it was about time, using fresh tomatoes and a little smoked paprika the chutney turned out better than expected. Next batch is maturing nicely just in time for Spanish Christmas! Enjoy.
Ingredients: (makes 8 jars)
2kg Fresh ripe tomatoes
4 Large onions
12 Garlic cloves
2 Red chilli peppers
500g Brown sugar
2 Tsp hot smoked paprika
350ml Red wine vinegar
How to make:
1. Chop tomatoes, thinly slice onion and slice the garlic cloves.
2. Add all of the ingredients to a deep pan or Spanish “Olla”.
3. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour stirring regularly.
4. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil once more until the mixture becomes dark and sticky similar to jam.
5. Place the mixture into jars and leave to cool before sealing.
6. Keeps for up to 8 weeks.
Goes down a treat with Manchego cheese and Serrano ham >>>