Spanish roast pork comes in many guises, pork is very popular in Spain, particularly in Andalucia. There are so many pork recipes handed down through the generations it is hard to keep up! Many, like this one are very simple and require only a few ingredients but with flavour being the most important aspect of food even a basic roast can deliver.
Here we have a sweet campo pork roast using vegetables, plenty of seasonings and the secret ingredient – amoroso sherry.
You will need: (Serves 5 - 6)
1.5kg Boneless pork joint
3 Large carrots, halved lengthways
1 Large onion, thinly sliced
2 Sprigs fresh thyme
4 Bay leaves
Cracked black pepper
25cl Amoroso sherry
1. Preheat the oven to 140 degrees.
2. Halve the carrots lengthways, leave the skins on and lay in the bottom of a terracotta cazuela.
3. Peel and slice the onion laying the slices on top of the carrots, add two bay leaves.
4. Place the pork on top and drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper then rub in all over the top of the joint.
5. Pour in the amoroso sherry around the pork.
6. Place the remaining two bay leaves and the thyme on top of the pork, cover with kitchen foil and roast for 2 hours.
7. Remove the kitchen foil, turn up the oven to 180 degrees and roast for a further 45 – 60 minutes.
8. When cooked remove the pork and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
9. Meanwhile place the cazuela on the hob and reduce the liquid by half.
10. Slice the joint and pour over the juices, serve with seasonal vegetables.