This braised liver recipe serves at least six people and is packed full of Spanish flavour. Cured pancetta is used to add that bacon flavour and when braised in Asturian cider and herbs produces a lovely rustic dish ready for any table.
You will need:
1kg Whole pigs liver
250g Cured Spanish pancetta, sliced
6 Baby carrots
Cracked black pepper
50cl Asturian cider
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Clean the liver by removing the skin and inner tubes.
3. Place half of the pancetta in the bottom of a cazuela or casserole.
4. Slice the carrots and onion; add to the liver then place the tied herbs on top.
5. Pour the cider over the liver then top up with chicken stock so the ingredients are just nearly covered.
6. Place the remaining pancetta over the top of the liver and cook in the oven for 40 minutes until liver is cooked through.
7. Remove from the oven and transfer the liver onto hot plate to keep warm (or place back in oven for 5 minutes.
8. Strain the sauce into a pan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce by half.
9. Divide the liver into the required portions and pour over the sauce, serve piping hot with seasonal vegetables and mashed potatoes.