terracotta roasting tray although a good sized cazuela would do just as well.
Cooking such a dish in terracotta means that the beef can also be popped into the outdoor clay oven for a few hours such is the heat retaining properties of the terracotta itself. There is of course the satisfaction of 'cooking in clay', a natural product which once you have tried it you may be reluctant to go back to using your metal tray..!
This recipe for braised beef uses tomatoes and a hint of smoked paprika for a nice Spanish influence. Enjoy!
2kg Beef (cheap cut for braising)
1 Large Onion
8 Garlic Cloves, peeled
500g Tinned Tomatoes
1/2 Teaspoon Sweet Smoked Paprika
Ground Black Pepper
How to Cook:
1. Peel and slice your onion into rings, lay the onion slices on the bottom of the terracotta roasting tray.
2. Place the beef on top of the onions.
3. Open the tinned tomatoes and chop roughly mixing in the paprika before pouring (inc the juice) around the beef.
4. Peel the garlic cloves and sprinkle around the beef.
5. Drizzle olive oil over the beef then sprinkle with the pepper.
6. Place your fresh rosemary over the top of the meat and slow cook for 3 hours at 140 degrees adding water of required.
For more Spanish terracotta cookware including grill and stove top sets click here