Spanish lamb hotpot or ‘Olla de Cordero’ is a popular dish in rural Granada where the famous ‘cordero segureno’ lambs are bred. The quality of the lamb makes a dish like this very special indeed and cooked simply it lets the flavour of the lamb do the work. A lovely winter warmer cooked in typically Andalucian rustic style using a natural terracotta casserole. For this recipe we cooked the lamb in the oven but it can also be cooked on the hob.
You will need (serves 6)
1.5kg Lamb, cubed
2 Sticks of celery, chopped
2 Carrots, sliced
4 Vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
2 Onions, chopped
1 Red bell pepper, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, cracked
2 Sprigs of Thyme, leaves chopped
1 tbsp Plain flour
Equipment: Terracotta ‘olla’ or earthenware casserole.
How to cook:
- Firstly heat a good drizzle of olive oil in the casserole, add the lamb and the flour and brown for 2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the lamb and mix together.
- Pour in the red wine and season well with salt and pepper.
- Slow cook at 140 degrees for 3 hours topping up with water if required.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetables.